forumNew topic

Choosing mobile app development tools together — how do you decide with a partner?

CCeren E***MemberCommunity member
Joined
May 2024
Message
1
#1

We've kicked off a B2B mobile app project targeting SMEs that manage warehouse and field operations. There are two co-founders; we have a starting budget of 300,000 TL and a hard target of deploying the initial release into the field within 5 months. However, we've been completely deadlocked for two weeks over our mobile development software and core stack.

I'm arguing that we should go with cross-platform frameworks to target both iOS and Android from a single codebase; our capital is limited and building two parallel native apps will blow through our timeline. My partner insists we must build natively and separately on each platform to guarantee seamless hardware access (barcode scanners, Bluetooth thermal printers) and peak performance.

Both of us are digging our heels in, leading to a complete technical stalemate. When choosing tech stacks and development environments between business partners, how can we build an objective decision matrix and steer clear of emotional debates?

HHavva K***MemberCommunity member
Joined
Jul 2024
Message
111
Most Helpful#2

Short answer: Resolving tech disagreements between founders shouldn't come down to personal preferences, but to an objective decision matrix scoring budget constraints, hardware dependencies, and time-to-market over the first 12 months. Pick 4 core criteria for both approaches and run a weighted scorecard; if it ends in a tie, let the scarcest resource—money and calendar days—dictate the verdict.

You can implement this 4-step framework in practice: 1) Map out the hard technical requirements. Can the barcode scanning and Bluetooth peripheral needs for your field app be solved cleanly using mature cross-platform packages, or are bare-metal driver writes unavoidable? 2) Run a 3-day proof of concept (PoC). Spin up a tiny sandbox project to test the exact hardware feature your partner is worried about on a cross-platform framework. If it runs cleanly, the argument for pure native loses its technical basis. 3) Crunch the build and ongoing maintenance costs. Dual codebases practically double test cycles and debugging hours. Attempting to build two distinct native stacks from scratch on a 300,000 TL budget inside a 5-month deadline poses a massive operational risk.

Ultimately, document the outcome not as a win for you or your partner, but as a governance policy aimed at preserving burn rate and delivery promises. Write an explicit milestone clause into your technical roadmap: 'The MVP will be shipped cross-platform for the first 6 months; if active user numbers cross target thresholds or we record measurable performance bottlenecks, a pivot to native builds will be formally evaluated.'

Edit: asked below, I wrote the answer in the second message.

RReyhan A***Member
Job title
Digital marketing specialist
Sector
Jewelry
Organization type
regional distributor
Joined
Oct 2024
Message
97
#3

Last year on a similar logistics app, stubbornness around going native stretched our 6-month delivery window to 11 months. A budget we initially pegged at 220,000 TL blew past 410,000 TL. Cross-platform rarely causes friction with hardware integrations these days; juggling two separate codebases on a lean budget is a luxury you can't afford.

CCeren G***Veteran
Job title
Board member
Sector
Printing
Organization type
8-person team
Joined
Oct 2022
Message
131

Doki · Penetration test · 2026

#4

The critical technical detail here is the bluetooth listeners running in the background and the camera-based barcode reading latency. In cross-platform libraries, the native bridge latency is at the millisecond level, below human perception for warehouse operations. Just prepare a small prototype and measure the camera frame rate, your partner will be convinced once they see the numbers.

GGürkan Y***Member
Job title
Human Resources Specialist
Sector
Chemistry
Organization type
regional distributor
Joined
May 2023
Message
234
#5

we had the same fight too dragged on for 4 months. then instead of sitting there stubbornly arguing we coded a simple test screen in a week, saw it worked and the argument was over... like i'd say don't waste time being stubborn, time flies.

FFiliz S***Member
Job title
Software developer
Sector
Printing
Organization type
early-stage startup
Joined
Apr 2026
Message
129
#6

Is your partner's past experience built on native languages? Sometimes developers hide behind the performance excuse because they're wary of environments they don't know or aren't as proficient in. Does your team have equal proficiency in both environments, or will a new learning process be needed?

FFurkan Y***MemberCommunity member
Joined
Jan 2024
Message
11
#7

They say cross-platform is a cure-all but when a third-party plugin blows up on an OS update you wait weeks for a fix. Especially in enterprise field applications working with custom hardware this risk can't be underestimated. Your partner's concern isn't entirely unfounded, also factor in the long-term maintenance burden.

MMerve T***ExpertCommunity member
Joined
Feb 2024
Message
13
#8

Set a one-week deadline for the decision. Your partner prepares the same bluetooth barcode reading screen in the environment they advocate, and you do it in cross-platform, both in 3 days. Whichever finishes faster and without errors, continue with that infrastructure. When data speaks, personal arguments end.

SSultan A***Member
Job title
QA Tester
Sector
Freight
Organization type
300-person organization
Joined
Aug 2025
Message
143

Doki · KVKK compliance consulting · 2023

#9

If technical leadership and veto authority aren't defined in your partnership agreement, this kind of deadlock is inevitable. We recommend that at the company formation stage, you sign a written founders' protocol specifying which criteria (budget fit, speed to market) the final decision on technology choice will be based on.

edit: typed from phone, sorry for typos.

VVahide U***MemberCommunity member
Joined
Jan 2024
Message
139
#10

Thanks for posting.

TTülay A***Member
Job title
Store associate
Sector
Packaging
Organization type
8-person team
Joined
Dec 2023
Message
64
#11

How did you solve this? Are you looking for a partner or a co-founder? They are two different things.

Of course, it varies if your situation is different.

ÜÜmit K***Member
Job title
Operations manager
Sector
Jewelry
Organization type
a company within a holding
Joined
May 2022
Message
406
#12

I went through the same thing two years ago. Start with a small trial; don't commit to everything at once.

I'm also curious if anyone does it differently.

HHavva Y***MemberCommunity member
Joined
Jan 2023
Message
354
#13

You're right. If you're offering equity instead of salary, also state what you're offering in return.

İİsmail K***New member
Job title
Grocery
Organization type
medium-sized business
Joined
Dec 2024
Message
22

Doki · Log management setup · 2025

#14

following.

CCansu P***MemberCommunity member
Joined
Mar 2024
Message
237
#15

I've been down this road, let me tell you. Everything goes well for the first three months; problems arise in the fourth.

That's all, sorry if I went on too long.

GGürkanMember
Job title
Energy sector
Organization type
boutique agency
Joined
Nov 2023
Message
94
#16

I completely agree. Hasty decisions become decisions you have to fix six months later.

I'm also curious if anyone does it differently.

SSultan Y***Member
Job title
Customer Relations Manager
Sector
Livestock
Organization type
40-person manufacturing company
Joined
Apr 2025
Message
9
#17

I'm curious too. Are you looking for a partner or a co-founder? They are two different things.

HHüseyin Y***Member
Job title
Customer service representative
Sector
Construction
Organization type
20-person company
Joined
Mar 2023
Message
221
#18

Noted, thanks.

TTülay A***MemberCommunity member
Joined
Sep 2022
Message
147
#19

My question might sound amateurish, sorry about that. Processes without records never improve, because you don't know what to fix.

Hope this helps.

TTaner N***MemberCommunity member
Joined
Dec 2025
Message
13
#20

This approach has a cost, which isn't discussed. When you try to change everything at once, nothing settles.

Proven by experience.

Reply